Here at The Falls Retreat we try to focus on using fresh, seasonal produce coming out our veggie gardens and we have also applied this ethos to our range of home made sodas, using fresh herbs and seasonal fruit to create a range of non alcoholic drinks.
Our Ginger Ninja drink was developed as an alternative to the high sugar ginger beers available off the shelf and was a real hit when we served it at our last garden workshop.
I had promised to share the recipe so here we go :
Makes 1 bottle of ginger cordial. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
500ml of Water
250g peeled ginger
120 ml of honey
Zest of 1.5 limes + 60ml of juice ( 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime)
Handful of lemon balm
1. Peel the ginger & roughly chop
2. Measure out the honey and warm until liquid
3. Zest the limes and squeeze 30ml of lime juice & 30ml of lemon juice
4. Measure out 500ml of warm water
5. Blitz all ingredients together (best to do this in 2 batches)
*Make sure to blitz well, around 30 seconds for each batch, do this twice
7. Place the mixture in a pot on the stove to simmer for 40 minutes
8. Cool, strain and pour into a bottle/container and keep refrigerated
To serve pour 30ml of cordial in a glass with ice and add your favorite fizzy drink (soda for a dry version or lemonade for a sweeter option).
SERVING TIP: Serve in your favourite mug with 30ml cordial, boiling water and a teaspoon of honey for a healthy Winter warmer!